About this Collection
Old Spanish Trail Association Records Collection (SC 17)
Archive: Blume Library Special Collections at St. Mary’s University of San Antonio (One Camino Santa Maria, San Antonio, TX 78228-8530, USA; Phone: 210-436-3011)
Abstract: The Association was a group of community leaders from towns and cities along the “Old Spanish Trial” from St. Augustine, Florida to San Diego, California. The association formed to promote the development of a motorable highway throughout the South as a spur to local development. The archives of the Association include reports and memoranda, membership books, minutes, correspondence, clippings, brochures, and books published by the Association in pursuit of its objective to facilitate tourism in their locales.
Digitization: Dr. Lindsey Passenger Wieck, Director of Graduate Public History, and librarian Jill Crane, worked with undergraduate and graduate students to digitize this archive in 2019-2020. Wieck, Crane, and Samantha (Shine) Trabucco created the digitization and metadata workflow. Glory Turnbull, Christopher Hohman, and Danielle Slaughter digitized the materials and completed the bulk of the metadata. Antonio Coffee, Harold Johnson, Oscar Ortega, Gerardo Nino Pozos, Bianca-Rhae Jacquez, Claudia Sanchez, and others contributed to the metadata for this project. We are grateful to the Council of Independent Colleges and the generous support from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation as the catalyst of this project. Thank you also to St. Mary's University, Humanities Texas, a Promoting Postbaccalaureate Opportunities for Hispanic Americans grant, and the St. Mary's Blume Library, SPARC, and Information Services for their support of this project.
Creator: Old Spanish Trail Association and Harrall Ayres, director
Donors: Old Spanish Trail Association; donor number: 1982.1
Title: Old Spanish Trail Association Records
Inclusive Dates: circa 1915-1933
Extent: 4 cubic feet
Custodial History: This collection was kept by two leaders of the Association both of San Antonio, Mr. Harrall Ayres and Mrs. Henry Drought, who presented the materials to St. Mary's University. Library director Palmer Hall (circa 1980-1985) was instrumental in obtaining this collection.
Preferred Citation: St. Mary’s University of San Antonio Texas